OSD600-Release0.4-PR1-blog1

My planning in this release 0.4 is to have one PR of an internal project and two PRs of an  external project.
  1. Internal project: Seneca Student Resume/Portfolio Static Site Generator
  2. External project: Node.js
In this blog, I want to talk about my first PR in the Node.js project. This project is welcome the new learning node language contributors, so I want to give a try. I have learned the whole process of how to setup security key and push an PR with personal access token in command line that I have not done in my previous PRs.

First, I had to learn a little bit about node language for beginner in YouTube. Then, I followed this Node Todo to start working on this project. I have viewed some commits that recommended in the Node Todo website, learned how some contributors fixed the issue. After that, I found an issue in another file likes this commit. I followed this instruction to build and run the test in my local machine. It will take around 30 minutes to finish these tasks because node is a huge project. Then, I made a first commit and pushed it that was not following this commit guidelines and I got a result one check failed. Next, one of the reviewers gave me a suggestion. He stated that it will be better if I remove the extra blank line. During the time making a second commit, I got some pop up windows when signing in to GitHub website to set the 2FA key. Then, I did it. After I set the security key, when I pushed the second commit in the command line, I have been asked for a password. I did not know about it. I did some research and followed this link to set up my password. Then, I pushed the second commit and it was not following this commit guidelines again. One more check failed about the commit. Then, I talked to my classmate, Jeffrey Espiritu, about my PR. He took a look and gave me a nice suggestion why I don't do the rebase to combine two commits and create a new shorter commit that is NOT longer 72 characters. I did not count my commits characters. Then, I need to do the rebase.




I can see the test passed or failed in this link after I made a pull request

To sum up, after this PR, I learned lots of things like what I said. One more thing, I tried to communicate with my professor on slack , my classmate to get help from them. This is the important thing that I rarely do, but I tried to do it this time. Awesome!!!

Project: https://github.com/nodejs/node
PR: https://github.com/nodejs/node/pull/24584

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

release0.3_summary

OSD600-Release0.4-PR2-blog2

OSD600_Release0.2 _Hacktoberfest _Summary